Today, rabbits are increasingly found in houses and apartments as pets. They are cute, playful, very popular with adults and children. In order for the pet to live longer, you need to know how to care for rabbits at home.
Before buying a rabbit you need give him a place to live, install a cage or aviary. The cage should be large, spacious, at least three to four times the size of the rabbit itself. An aviary is even better, but not every apartment has a place for it. The cage should be located away from drafts and direct sunlight, as well as from heating and any household appliances. All these factors can create inconvenience for the pet and cause harm to his health.
An autodrinker and a tray should be placed in the cage, to which the animals quickly get used. The floor should be plastic, without metal gratings, because the animals can get hurt on them. It is also necessary to place in the cage:
- pet toys,
- as well as a house so that the animal has a place to hide.
The tray should be removable, so it will be easier to keep the cage clean. Sawdust or wood shavings can be poured into the bottom, because rabbits love to dig.
After the cage or aviary is ready, you should move on directly to the purchase of an animal. You should buy a future rodent pet from breeders, in breeding farms, and not in a pet store or in the market. You should definitely ask the seller about the availability of a pedigree, relevant documents for the animal, and also find out which vaccinations have been made and which ones need to be done. In addition, buying an animal on the farm will allow you to see in what conditions the rabbits live, what kind of care they need. It will also be possible to get useful tips necessary for a novice rabbit breeder.
How to feed a rabbit
In order for a pet to be healthy, it should be provided to him õige toitumine. Animal food should not be monotonous. The diet should include grass, but not fresh, but previously dried in the sun. You can also give branches of deciduous trees. In winter, you should feed your pet with hay, harvested branches of fruit trees, you can also add coniferous branches.
Pet food should be supplemented with fresh vegetables and fruits, as well as dry or sprouted grains. The diet should also include hard pieces of trees and crackers so that the animal can grind down its teeth. For the same purpose, you can place a mineral stone in the cage.
Do not give grass to animalsgrowing along the roads due to the large amount of dust and dirt on it, and vegetables and fruits rich in nitrates, as well as sweets and starchy foods. It is not recommended to give cabbage, potatoes and beets in large quantities, because they can lead to bloating in the intestines of the rabbit. Also, do not feed the animal with special feeds sold in pet stores. They contain substances that very quickly cause a feeling of satiety. The rabbit does not really chew food, which leads to obesity.
Pets should be regularly cared for and keep his cage clean.
- The cage should be cleaned every two to three days, and leftover food should be removed every day. The water in the drinker is also changed daily. This will not only benefit the animal, but also rid the apartment of unpleasant odors and debris around the cage. Cage disinfection should be carried out with special solutions that are safe for the health of the pet. You need to wash the cage with hot water, and then treat it with a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
- Rabbit need kontrollige regulaarselt, check the ears, nose, eyes and coat. At the slightest deviation from the norm, you should contact your veterinarian. Anxiety should be caused by redness of the eyes, discharge from the nose, dull coat, immobile or lethargic state of the animal, lack of appetite.
- The animal should be combed regularly with a special brush, especially if it has thick long hair. This will help prevent the appearance of tangles. The pet should not be washed, he is able to ensure his own cleanliness. Sometimes it is necessary, especially after outdoor activities. In this case, you should use only shampoo intended for rabbits, rinse it off very carefully.
- You need to constantly monitor the condition of the animal’s teeth. In order for the pet to grind them on its own, solid pieces of trees must be included in its diet. The cage should also contain a red mineral stone; from time to time, a small amount of crushed chalk can be added to food.
- eraldi attention should be paid to the claws of the rabbit. In the wild, they grind off on their own, but at home this is impossible, so they should be carefully trimmed as they grow, approximately once every three weeks. For the first time, you should ask for the help of a veterinarian, carefully observe this process, and later independently carry out the procedure with special scissors sold in pet stores. This should be done very carefully so as not to damage the vessels located inside the claws. The bones in rabbit feet are very fragile, so they must be handled very carefully.
So, proper care of a domestic rabbit means competent choice and arrangement of the cell, its regular cleaning, compliance with the rules of feeding the animal, as well as regular examination of the rabbit to prevent its illness.